In the last five months, three nonprofit associations have engaged me to facilitate strategic intent workshops with their boards.
Ironically, one common outcome from all three organizations: a decision to rename and rebrand.
After the third association surfaced a desire to rename their organization, I reflected back to see if there was anything I was doing that “pushed” them toward rebranding.
I don’t think so.
The commonality of the work process:
- online survey research of members and stakeholders
- the Strategic Intent process whereby the organization confirms where it is and then looks forward to where it wants to be/what it wants to become.
- One forecasted continued consolidation which meant fewer traditional members. They looked at a new name as an opportunity to cast a wider net for non-traditional members.
- One recognized their existing name no longer fit what it was doing.
- The third decided its acronym did not fully describe what it did.