One of the quotes I’ve often used in sessions for association executives is:
- If you think you’re too small to make a difference ... you haven’t been in bed with a mosquito!
Now, AARP the Magazine recently shared some startling facts:
- Number of people killed by sharks each year: 10
- Number of people killed by mosquitoes each year: 725,000
AARP did not site the source for this information. Nor did they indicate if these stats are for the U.S. or the world. But, does it matter? After all, they have achieved a “trusted resource” status so most people don’t ask those questions.
While managing the National Christmas Tree Association, we recognized that the news media looked to us as the experts about farm-grown Christmas trees.
- As a result, we were able to place important information and answer key questions for news media.
- And, in promoting the industry, we added value to members.
If not, why not?