Lisa Evans recently wrote an interesting piece in FastCompany headlined The Exact Amount of Time You Should Work Every Day.
It is important reading for Association CEOs and Association Executives!
As a 24/7 “switchtasker,” I read this piece with interest.
The story talks about new research that reveals how much downtime we should be taking during our work week.
- What the research found was that the 10% of employees with the highest productivity surprisingly didn’t put in longer hours than anyone else.
- In fact, they didn’t even work full eight-hour days.
- What they did do was take regular breaks. Specifically, they took 17-minute breaks for every 52 minutes of work.
Here are the suggested actions:
- Schedule breaks into your daily calendar. Ideally every 52 minutes.
- Set a timer to remind you when to take your break and when to return to work.
- Make realistic to-do lists.
- Prioritize tasks.
PS. Read the comments of Lisa's piece ... you'll find disagreement!