As I posted back on June 29, our panel at the upcoming ASAE Annual Meeting (#ASAE14) will present case studies on Why Boards Fail and How to Fix Them.
One of our challenges is to gather reasons for board failures, sort them, rank them and determine which to focus on during our 60-minute session (10:30 - 11:30 am, Tuesday, August 12). #asae14 LL9
Our panel decided to start by crowd-sourcing the reasons boards fail. We developed an initial list of 25 and then circulated a Survey Monkey link via Twitter, FaceBook, LinkedIn and various ASAE Collaborate groups.
140 association executives responded! Thank you!
Yes, we know this was a poll that was neither scientific nor random. But, it gave us a good reading on what the association community is thinking.
Based on your responses, here are the Top 10 reasons Association Boards Fail (top ranking was extremely important & relevant):
- Board too focused on operational or tactical matters, as opposed to strategic issues
- Board (members) fail to understand the role of board vs role of CEO and staff
- Board (or its leadership development committee) fails to vet board candidates in terms of competencies, ability to serve and support for central mission of the association
- Poor leadership leads to unproductive meetings, distractions related to new “ideas,” lack of consensus building and decision making, lack of organizational vision, etc.
- Board allows mission/program creep; fails to provide adequate resources for new programs/services; fails to eliminate unneeded programs
- Board members lack the necessary skills and/or experience to help lead the association
- Board members don't adequately prepare for meetings or pay attention during meetings
- Board structure & governance
- Board fails to ensure execution of strategies related to its central mission
- Board unable to make key decisions (too large, poor leadership, lack of vision, etc.)
Our session is from 10:30 to 11:30 am on Tuesday, August 12. If you are attending ASAE14, hope to see you there. If not, we will share the handout via the ASAE speakers handout site.
Our panel includes:
- Steve Drake, MA, President, SCD Group Inc
- Russell Lemieux, Group Vice President, Kellen Company
- Greg Schultz, Vice President, The Sherwood Group
- Marilyn Jansen, Director, Marketing and Business Development, Association Management Center
- Randy Lindner, MHSA, CAE, President, Bostrom